Your employer is supposed to deliver your form W-2 by January 31st, but it does not always happen.  Here are some steps you need to take.

1.      Confirm with your employer that the W-2 was mailed and confirm your current address with your employer. It is possible your W-2 was sent to an old or incomplete address.  If that is the case make sure to request the W-2 be sent again to a corrected address.

2.      If you still have not received your W-2 by Valentine’s Day and you think your employer is intentionally not delivering it to you, call the IRS for help at 1-800-829-1040.  Be prepared for a lengthy hold time and to give personal identifying information (usually includes the Adjusted Gross Income amount from your most recent tax return).  If available, make sure to have your last pay-stub accessible.

3.      Even though you have not received your Form W-2, you are still required to file your return by the end of the day April 17th 2012. You should use Form 4852 Substitute for Form W-2.  You will need to estimate your wage and withholding as accurately as possible.

4.      If after having filed your income tax using Form 4852, you subsequently receive your Form W-2 you will need to file an amended return.  Amended returns are filed using Form 1040X.

If you need help with this type of issue or any other tax related matter, please don’t hesitate to contact us.